Cavalier Woolscourers Limited are the only supplier of New Zealand woolgrease. As part of our world class wool scouring process, woolgrease is washed from the wool and recovered as a valuable by product.
Wool Grease (Wool wax or Crude Lanolin) is a natural substance expressed from the sebaceous gland of the sheep, designed by nature to soften both skin and wool fibres, and to protect them against adverse weather conditions. It is a by-product of the Scouring process in which a hot water and detergent solution is used to remove all the wool grease substances from the wool.
The wool grease is then recovered from the scouring liquids by high-speed centrifugation. Depending on the breed of sheep, the season and the quality of the wool, crude wool grease makes up about 2% of the weight of the shorn fleece.
Humans have valued its well-tolerated beneficial qualities for thousands of years. Nowadays this unique, created by nature substance is widely used in many products and various technical applications:
Cavalier Woolscourers woolgrease is sold to all of the major refining companies around the world as a raw ingredient for a diverse range of pharmaceutical and feedstock products, including lanolin for cosmetics and cholesterol for animal feed supplements. Woolgrease is also a rich source of vitamin D3 which is growing in demand in dietary supplements.
Lanolin is a key ingredient in some of the world’s most popular cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. Without it, they would not have the emollient qualities that protect and care for our skin and hair.
Personal care applications:
- As an Emollient in Skin Creams, Ointments and Sunscreen Lotions.
- As a Superfatting agent to minimize dehydration of the Skin in Soaps.
- As gloss-enhancing agent in Lip glosses.
- As a crystal inhibitor in Lipsticks.
- As a conditioner in Shampoos and Shower Gels.
- As a naturally protective firming component in Hair Waxes.
- As an Emulsifier in Ointment bases
- As a stabilizer in burns dressings
- As an emollient in wound sprays
- As a dispersing agent in pigmented medications
- As an antimicrobial in products for cutaneous infections
- As a carrier for active ingredients in suppositories substantial bases
- As an Anti-corrosive on ferrous metals
- As a lubricant in engineering parts, Metal cutting and Metal processing
- As a protective agent in Leather and Textiles manufacturing
- As a dispersing agent in Paints
- As a conditioner in paper manufacturing
- As a super-fatting agent in industrial hand cleaners
Cavalier Woolscourers has a world class three stage woolgrease purification process which produces consistently high quality woolgrease with low residues, good colour and very high purity levels.
Cavalier Woolscourers Ltd would like to congratulate Struan Hulme on his appointment as the New Vice Chairman of NZWCA, The New Zealand Wool Classers Association